Seeing the third world through the eyes of Jamal Malik and his 18 year journey through poverty is inspirational. Living in the slums of Mumbai, Jamal and his brother had to face the danger of starvation, homelessness, and local gangs. Poverty is responsible for the millions of deaths that happen in developing countries but when one tries to work around its ways, it can lead to making choices that can either take your life or save your life. The author of Slumdog Millionaire develops the idea that fighting for survival and love is crucial even in the presense of poverty. Jamal’s brother, Salim, turned to working for gangs and the business of prostitution to make his way through life. Jamal on the other hand got a job and never stopped searching for his love, Latika. The different lifestyles that Jamal and Salim chose were all caused by poverty.
One more week left til ELA 10 is over (: Throughout all the procrastination days, I have managed to put my presentation together. I have finished capturing the pictures of Kim (hisavethechildren.tumblr.com) as a spoiled girl living in a developed country and then of Kim as a less fortunate girl living in a developing country. I have also finished watching Slumdog Millionaire and am working on my creative piece. Currently, I am still working on getting familiar with the two websites that I am going to discuss with the class: www.worldvision.com and www.freerice.com .
The chow mein and spring rolls were all sold out! =) Summerfest should’ve lasted all afternoon, instead of an hour and a half. The food and games were all very fun and most students and teachers participated in the event making it a huge success. All the proceeds are going to Cawst, a water organization. Hopefully the money everyone had helped raise from Summerfest will make a big differences to all those in need.
Picking up my pace
On the friday before May Long, I filmed the bully scene with Jon Boyce as the bully. After a lecture from Kim about how the weather will not be precise and how nothing will match, she convinced me to refilm. Today, (may 25th) Mr. Toth suggested that I use pictures instead since filming takes too much work for one week. Instead of a short film, there will be a series of pictures explaining the way Kim abuses her belongings as a rich girl and being grateful for everything she has as a poor girl, even though she barely as anything.
- picture film
- creative piece personal response
HOW TO PLAY:
- Click on the right answer in the middle of this page.
- If you get it right, you get a harder question. If you get it wrong, you get an easier question.
- For each answer you get right, we donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.
- You may also change the subject and language as you wish.
Freerice delivers rice throughout Africa, America, Asia, and the Middle East.
Freerice is supported by the World Food Programme, these are their 5 objectives:
1. Save lives and protect livelihoods in emergencies
2. Prepare for emergencies
3. Restore and rebuild lives after emergencies
4. Reduce chronic hunger and undernutrition everywhere
5. Strengthen the capacity of countries to reduce hunger
Building a better world for children.
Please visit worldvision.com! SPONSOR: You are able to sponsor a child that is affected by HIV/AIDS, help their village by supplying clean water, and keep them away from deathly diseases.
GIFT: You may buy gifts ranging from chickens and goats to misquito nets and water wells. With just a dollar a day, you can save and change someone’s life.
DONATE: Donations can be made to Haiti Relief and Long Term Support, Clothing for Children, Operation Safetly Net, Global Food Crisis, and many more devistating situations that can be easily prevented.
This event is still under construction. We do not have a house available for use but we do have all the neccessities accessible. Until we have a house, this even will be postponed.
* This thursday, I might be going with Patricia Nguyen and Jenna Reid downtown to visit the Drop-In Centre or the Mustard Seed to interview a few homeless people and film their surroundings, their daily routines and what they do on their free time.
* As soon as Mr. Toth has a video camera available, I will start filming at Kim Tran’s house right away. The script is finished but I am still in need of a few actors and actresses. If I can not recruite by the deadline, the same people will be used to play a different role.
* Kim Tran (hisavethechildren) and I will be attending a 5k walk together on June 12. Cookie and Oreo, my two puppies, will be companying us along the way.